CALL FOR PROPOSAL - TO DESIGN AND CONDUCT A WRITING COURSE IN ENGLISH
CALL FOR PROPOSAL
TO DESIGN AND CONDUCT A WRITING COURSE IN ENGLISH
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN leaders recognized that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN. It was of this concern that ASEAN leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997. The ASEAN Foundation is an organisation from and for the people of ASEAN and exists because of one vision: to build a cohesive and prosperous ASEAN Community. As an ASEAN’s body, the Foundation is tasked to support ASEAN mainly in promoting awareness, identity, interaction and development of the people of ASEAN. For more information, visit: https://www.aseanfoundation.org
As an ASEAN body under the ASEAN Charter, the ASEAN Foundation uses English as its official language for office correspondence and attending meetings. The ASEAN Foundation staff, particularly the locally recruited professional staff members, are required to have a sufficient level of English in their respective function. This competency is pertinent as staff members are required to communicate using English language as the main medium.
The annual performance appraisal of staff members revealed that staff members can benefit from an English writing course to communicate effectively in an international setting.
The objective of the training is to equip the locally recruited professional staff’s ability to communicate accurately and effectively in English, both orally and in writing, in a wide range of professional situations.
3) Target Participants
The training will target fifteen (15) local professional staff members of the ASEAN Foundation
4) Scope of Services
The service provider (consultant or firm) shall include all the services necessary to achieve the stated objective of the English writing training, and in so doing, shall execute the following:
- Improve participants’ proficiency on grammar, writing structure and vocabulary i.e. fundamentals of professional writing
- Develop writing skills in writing emails, office memo, simple report and minutes of meeting.
- Improve writing skills in results-based/impact report writing, creating talking points, speech writing, proposal writing and note-to-file.
5) Deliverables/Outcome of Training
Staff members who have attended the training are expected to be able to:
- Understand basic communication structure with regards to writing documents
- Draft written documents with logical organization and presentation of ideas
- Produce written documents with the right tone and minimal grammatical errors
- Make well-structured, clear, concise, and coherent written documents
6) Training Topics
The following topics shall act as a reference for Training Provider to develop the course outline. Additional topic can be included if considered important and relevant.
Intermediate Business Writing
- Writing for your reader
- Type and character of a report
- Structuring a report and other office documents
- Vocabulary: Words and phrase for introduction/opening, classifying and listing, defining term, describing quantities, giving examples.
- Grammar: Tense (present, past and future participle), connotation and conjunction, subject and verb agreement, articles
- Paraphrasing and punctuation
Advanced Professional Writing
- Report writing strategy and steps
- Type and character of a report
- Pyramid writing model
- 3C in writing: Clear, Concise, and Coherent
- Vocabulary: Word and phrases for intriguing opening, compare and contrast, being critical and cautious, describing trend, and explaining causality
- Grammar: article, subject and verb agreement, conjunction, complex sentences, construct
- Jargon and punctuation
- Working with table, graphics and charts
7) Training Duration and Venue
- Total 10-day training; maximum two days a week within a 3-week period
- Training will be held in the meeting hall of the ASEAN Foundation
8) Training Method
Training shall employ the adult learning principle with maximum 30% of lecture and 70% participant-centered learning method. This may include discussion, individual and group exercise, role play, simulation, and games.
9) Target Date for training
December 2018/January 2019
10) Application Process
Submit a proposal completed with the following documents by 30 November 2018; to our email address: email@example.com
a) Propose course outline consisting of topics and activities.
b) Propose Trainer/Facilitator with CV
c) Propose learning materials
- Once selected, consult the ASEAN Foundation regarding the topics to ensure the training provider has a complete and accurate understanding of ASEAN Foundation’s requirements and training objectives prior to the implementation.
- Customize course design, to ensure that the participants’ needs are addressed and the courses are aligned with expected deliverables of standard acceptable by an International Organization.
- Provide training agenda, stationary, hand-outs (one master copy for ASEAN Foundation), certificate, and other learning materials as necessary.
- Provide personal attention to staff having difficulties in understanding the flow of the expected English skill level.
- Provide individual report to ASEAN Foundation on the performance and achievement level of the staff at the end of the training indicating the improvement achievement between pre-class and post-class.
d) Submit a total price proposalTweet This Share on Facebook Plus on Google+ Share on LinkedIn