COMMUNICATIONS AND PROGRAMME OFFICER
TERMS OF REFERENCE
COMMUNICATIONS AND PROGRAMME OFFICER
Locally Recruited Staff – Level 3
Term of Employment
This position is a non-ongoing position for an initial period of one (1) year starting in 2018, after which the position will be evaluated subject to organisation’s needs and regular performance review.
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN Leaders recognised that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN.
It was of this concern that ASEAN Leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Commemorative Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997.
After its establishment, the ASEAN Foundation has been tasked to support ASEAN’s community building efforts by promoting greater awareness of the ASEAN identity, human resource development, people-to-people interaction, and close collaboration among the business sector, civil society, academia and other stakeholders in ASEAN.
We continue to complement ASEAN priorities. To date, we work to strengthen the ASEAN Community.
We work in four thematic areas of education, arts and culture, media development and community building. We provide support in the form of scholarships, fellowships internships and exchanges. We organize meetings, conferences, roundtables and workshops in support of the ASEAN Community.
Under the overall supervision of the Communications Manager and in close collaboration with the Programme Manager, the Communication and Programme Officer supports them in terms of planning, implementation and reporting of communication and programme activities under the different initiatives that the Communication Manager and Programme Manager have responsibility for. S/he works closely with the other Programme and Operations staff at the ASEAN Foundation. The Communication and Programme Officer is expected to liaise with Government officials, civil society organisations, development partners and local experts ensuring successful implementation of ASEAN Foundation’s initiatives.
Develop and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with the following:
Internal (within Post)
All Official Staff of the ASEAN Foundation
External (outside Post)
Roles and Responsibilities
Strengthening Communication Activities (80%)
- Ensure effective communications and visibility within ASEAN Foundation, its intiatives/programmes and to external audience
- Work proactively with, programme and project teams to identify opportunities for capturing, sharing knowledge, and disseminating information about major progress and results of the initiatives of the ASEAN Foundation
- Work with programme/project staff to identify media stories, write and edit media releases, and feature stories within tight timeframes which consistently meet ASEAN Foundation’s agreed corporate standards
- Responsible for managing and regularly updating the content of the ASEAN Foundation website and webpages (Model ASEAN Meeting and AFOSP) and for the quality of the content;
- Working with interns at the ASEAN Foundation to manage the social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn) daily with information about project activities and events
- Support programme/project staff by preparing media outreach materials, press releases, text for brochures/ project summaries/ success stories;
- Assist with the planning, organisation of special events, outreach / promotional activities and public and targeted group presentations
- Build network partnerships and supporting outreach programmes;
- Track relevant news on national and international media related to ASEAN Foundation’s activities and provide periodic Press Clippings
- Maintain communication database and photo library
Strengthening Programme Management (20%)
- Assist/Support the implementation of programme/project activities as assigned by the supervisors
- Assist in the drafting Annual Work Plan and concept notes, project documents and project proposals
- Collaborate with programme/project/operation staff to ensure proper and effective holding of events e.g. policy dialogues, forums, workshops, study tours, learning exchanges
- Prepare detailed reports on events including workshops, seminars, conferences, study tours, etc
- Support the creation, implementation, monitoring, revision of work plan and timelines for project activities and ensure the appropriate allocation of resources.
- Support programme/project teams so that they comply with organisational policies and guidelines e.g. publication policy, travel policy, social ethics guidelines.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of Bachelor Degree in Communications, Public Relations, International Relations, International/Development Studies, or related fields
- A minimum of four (4) years of working experience in communication and/or programme management in any international development organisations or donor organisations or three (3) years of working experience in the same area for postgraduate degree;
Qualifications and Technical Skill
- Proven experience in communication/public relations
- Strong writing and organisational skills and attention to detail
- Comfort with managing diverse tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience
- Knowledge of or experience in a CSR department of a multinational corporation;
- Candidates with basic design and layout skills and adept in using Adobe Photoshop and Pagemaker
- Knowledge of another ASEAN language other than Bahasa Indonesia;
- Ability to travel internationally up to 10%.
- An event management generalist with proven track record in managing or arranging project events.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to work with partners and communities in a sensitive and participatory manner;
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of the ASEAN Foundation, and this includes effective representation skills;
- Flexible, creative, responsive, able to take initiative, reliable, able to follow through on tasks, able to work within systems and procedures, open to learning, able to work effectively in a small team environment involving the sharing of information and at times sharing workloads;
- Has the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner;
- Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts; and
- Well-planned and organised even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- All interested applicants to send application, stating the above post with the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
a) Application letter
b) Curriculum vitae and salary history and expected salary
Deadline for Application
- 22 November 2017