Consultancy for Project Cycle Management and M&E
TERMS OF REFERENCE
TO CONDUCT (1) INTRODUCTORY LEVEL COURSES ON
(a) PROJECT CYCLE MANAGEMENT (b) MONITORING AND EVALUATION
AND (2) TO REVIEW SOP FOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT & TOOLS
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN leaders recognized that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN. It was of this concern that ASEAN leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997. The ASEAN Foundation is an organization from and for the people of ASEAN and exists because of one vision: to build a cohesive and prosperous ASEAN Community. As an ASEAN’s body, the Foundation is tasked to support ASEAN mainly in promoting awareness, identity, interaction and development of the people of ASEAN. For more information, visit: https://www.aseanfoundation.org.
We work in four thematic areas of education, arts and culture, media development and community building. We provide support in the form of scholarships, fellowships internships and exchanges. We organize meetings, conferences, roundtables and workshops in support of the ASEAN Community.
- GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The ASEAN Foundation Strategic Plan 2018-2020 outlined four priorities. Two priorities are strengthening the organisational efficiency and effectiveness as well as partnership and coordination with various ASEAN stakeholders. As a Foundation that relies on projects to advance its mandate, managing a project is a core business skill. With eight projects running throughout the year and with different donors to report to, the ability to not only manage projects but also to report results becomes critical. Therefore, project management and monitoring and evaluation skills are required for each staff to master.
The objective of the training is to equip locally recruited professional staff members on how to plan, run and manage a project that emphasizes practical planning and implementation stages. The training will also cover an introduction to monitoring and evaluation.
Furthermore, the ASEAN Foundation would like to improve its SOP on Project Management as well as the tools applied in the process of project management. The consultancy assignment is expected to produce a SOP on Project Management that can support the project staff to better implement and ensure that tools, used are appropriate.
- TARGET PARTICIPANTS
The training will target fifteen (15) locally recruited professional staff members of the ASEAN Foundation.
- SCOPE OF SERVICE
The service provider (consultant/firm) shall include all the service necessary to achieve the stated objective of project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation, and in doing so, shall execute the following:
- Improvement in the participants’ ability to understand the essentials of project management to increase their project management efficiency
- Development of participants’ working knowledge of the principles of monitoring and evaluation
- Enhancement of the organisation’s project management process and tools
- EXPECTED OUTPUTS/DELIVERABLES
- For Introduction to Project Cycle Management
- Staff members know how to plan, run and manage a development project, with a specific focus on the practical planning and implementation phases.
- Staff members know to learn about the tools that are central to success and how to apply them.
- For Introduction to Monitoring and Evaluation
- Staff members understand important concepts and activities from inception through to outcome evaluation
- For SOP on Project Management and Tools
- Staff Members will have access to a consolidated structured SOP that builds on practices at the ASEAN Foundation as well as identification of appropriate project management tools to be used
- TRAINING TOPICS
The following topics shall act as a reference for Training Provider to develop the course outline.
- Introduction to Project Management
- Projects and project cycles
- Dependencies in time, cost and scope
- Project phase models
- Project set-up
- Decision gates
- Project planning, step one: activity definition
- Work Breakdown Structure
- Project planning, step two: activity sequencing
- PERT charts
- Project planning, step three: activity duration and resource estimating
- Critical Path Analysis
- Costing activities
- Project planning, step four: activity scheduling
- Gantt charts
- Project implementation
- Assumptions, risks, and issues
- Project implementation
- Financial management
- Project monitoring, evaluation, and control
- Managing variances and monitoring outcomes
- End of project transition
- Termination, Extension, Expansion, and Redesign
- Role of a Project Manager
- Introduction to Monitoring and Evaluation
- Theory of Change
- The what and why of monitoring and evaluation?
- Designing a monitoring and evaluation process
- Result chain and Introduction to monitoring and evaluation tools
- Defining indicators including for impact measurements
- Collecting and analysing information
- Effective decision making
- Managing resistance and conflict
- Evaluations – what difference are you making?
- TRAINING METHOD
Training shall employ the adult learning principle with maximum 30% of lecture and 70% participant-centered learning method. This may include discussion, individual and group exercise, role play, simulation, and games.
- TARGET DATE FOR TRAINING
The training will be conducted during the month of November 2019.
- REVIEW OF SOP FOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT
It is expected that the consultant/vendor will review the existing process and practices of the ASEAN Foundation to develop an SOP for project management that is consistent with the delivery of training. Current tools of project management at the ASEAN Foundation will be reviewed and revised/updated according to the training.
- QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An advanced university degree in social sciences from a recognised university
- At least 7 years of relevant professional work experience conducing trainings in project management and M&E
- Experience developing SOPs for organisations
- Exceptional presentation and writing skills
- APPLICATION PROCESS
All interested applicants whether individuals/organisations/institutions to send application, stating the position with the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- application letter and time table on how the assignment will be carried out completed with clear deliverables
- curriculum vitae of the consultants
- financial proposal specifying a total lump sum amount highlighting deliverables
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 13 SEPTEMBER 2019Tweet This Share on Facebook Plus on Google+ Share on LinkedIn