Consultant Writer for AFOSP
Term of Reference
Consultant Writer for the ASEAN Foundation
ASEAN Farmers’ Organisations Support Programme (AFOSP)
“ASEAN Foundation Factsheet for Supporting to AFOSP 2015 – 2017”
Since its establishment in 1997, the ASEAN Foundation (AF) has supported various agricultural projects through the Japan-ASEAN Solidarity Fund (JASF). In line with its mandate to address socio-economic disparities and alleviate poverty as well as to develop human resources and capacity building, AF continues and is committed to supporting farmers, rural entrepreneurs and agricultural workers which are essentially the backbone of the ASEAN community. To date, AF has funded 25 agriculture related projects with a total budget of USD 3.8 million.
Over the years, AF has also established networks with key agricultural players in the region such as the Asian Partnership for the Development of Human Resources in Rural Asia (AsiaDHRRA), Asian Farmers’ Association for Sustainable Rural Development (AFA), Network of Aquaculture Centers in Asia Pacific, ASEAN Fisheries Working Group, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture established by the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organisation (SEAMEO), Regional Volunteer Experts for Agricultural Modernisation, and Southeast Asian Council for Food and Security and Fair Trade (SEACON).
With the launch of the ASEAN Community in 2015 and to help moving forward the objective of ASEAN 2025 which calls for an inclusive Community that is people-oriented and engaging, AF currently works on facilitating and coordinating the engagement and
participation of the ASEAN farmers in the ASEAN processes and mechanisms through the ASEAN Farmers’ Organisations Support Programme (AFOSP), a multi-stakeholder project funded by the European Union (EU) and International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) under the consortium of the Asian Farmers’ Association for Sustainable Rural Development (AFA) and La Via Campesina (LVC).
AFOSP – Engaging with ASEAN
The role of the ASEAN Foundation (AF) in AFOSP falls into the key activities focusing on promoting policy dialogues and interactions between farmers, rural organizations, and the ASEAN level institutions. The overall mandate of AF is to actualize and to energize the ASEAN Blueprint especially the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) and ASEAN Socio- Cultural Community (ASCC) blueprint. Specifically, the key role of AF is to bridge the coordination between the relevant sectoral ASEAN bodies in support of AFOSP, such as those under the ASEAN Ministers Meeting on Agriculture and Forestry (AMAF) and ASEAN.
Ministers Meeting on Rural Development and Poverty Eradication (AMRDPE); and to facilitate the engagement and participation of the ASEAN farmers in the regional policy- making processes.
The ASEAN Foundation’s factsheet – AFOSP 2016/2017 outlines the overall results of the implemented activities from 2016 to 2017. The factsheet includes all results from the ALRAC, Roundtable Discussion, participation in ASEAN Sectoral working group meeting and ALSPEAC.
The production of the factsheet helps the ASEAN Foundation to attain effective and efficient use of resources and to be more accountable to donors, other stakeholders, and Civil Society Organization (CSOs) who participated in the events. This serves to build credibility for the organisation and to inspire confidence that the organisation is worthy of the contribution and investment made.
DESCRIPTION OF THE RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of Project Manager and overall guidance of the Executive Director, and in close collaboration with relevant staff, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
The ASEAN Foundation Fact Sheets for Supporting to AFOSP will comprise of:
- Short information background on ASEAN Foundation roles to support AFOSP
- 2016: ASEAN Learning Route on Agricultural Cooperative (ALRAC)
- 2016: Participation of 23rd Meeting on ASEAN Centre for the Development on Agricultural Cooperatives (ACEDAC) and 18th Meeting of the ASEAN Sectoral Working Group on Agricultural Cooperatives (ASWGAC)
- 2016: Brief information on the ASEAN 101 and ASEAN GAP
- 2016: Roundtable Discussion (RTD) on Strengthening Farmers Organisations/Agricultural Cooperatives and Attracting Youth in Agriculture
- 2016: Summary of achievement of 2016 activities
- 2017: Participation in 24th Meeting on ASEAN Centre for the Development on Agricultural Cooperatives (ACEDAC) and 18th Meeting of the ASEAN Sectoral Working Group on Agricultural Cooperatives (ASWGAC)
- 2017: ASEAN Learning Series and Policy Engagement on the Agricultural Cooperatives (ALSPEAC), Inclusive Agricultural Value Chain on Coffee
- 2017: Desk review on Coffee Value Chain during ALSPEAC
To formulate its draft content by extracting and collecting information from the proceedings including presentations of guest speakers, and relevant materials provided by ASEAN Foundation. The content of each fact sheet:
- Introduction (3 – 4 paragraphs)
- Where did it take place?
- When did it take place?
- Who was involved?
- Problem Statement (3 – 5 paragraphs)
- Why did the activities happen? or
- Why did ASEAN Foundation participate?
- Response (5 – 10 paragraphs)
- What happened?
- Did the event have discussions that will lead to identification of solutions/follow-up actions?
- Results (6 – 15 paragraphs):
- Provide quotes (from the questionnaires or testimonials)
- What will happen next?
- Way forward for next activities
To prepare the first draft, and final version; including fact-checking and proof-reading (including after the report goes to the designer)
To deliver the ASEAN Foundation Fact Sheet.
Final text as word document.
- Proof reading of design layout to ensure text and graphic are error free
First draft of the annual report submission: 8 September 2017 at 00.00 • Final draft submission: 12 September 2017
TIME FRAME AND RENUMERATION
The consultant will work for twelve working days spread out from 29 August to 12 September 2017. It is noted that due to the nature of the project, there will be periods of time when no actual writing will occur because the writer will be waiting for either text clearances from ASEAN Foundation and / or layout from the designer.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- University degree in communications, social sciences or other related fields
- At least over five years of progressive work experience in a relevant field
- Previous experience in high-level forum report writing
- Previous experience in copy-editing and fact-checking
- High level proficiency in standard computer software, in particular, Microsoft word and Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, of publication standard
- Persistence in follow up, tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
All interested applicants to send application, stating the position with the following documents to email@example.com
- Application letter and time table on how the assignment will be carried out completed with clear deliverables
- Curriculum vitae
- Samples of writing
- Financial proposal specifying a total lump sum amount highlighting deliverables.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 25 August 2017