Project Officer for eMpowering Youth Across ASEAN Programme
A Partnership programme between Maybank Foundation and the ASEAN Foundation.
Locally Recruited Staff – Level 3
Direct Report to
Term of Employment
This position is a non-ongoing position for an initial period of one-year starting from October 2019, after which the position will be evaluated subject to organisation’s needs and regular performance review.
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN Leaders recognised that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN.
It was of this concern that ASEAN Leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Commemorative Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997.
After its establishment, the ASEAN Foundation has been tasked to support ASEAN’s community building efforts by promoting greater awareness of the ASEAN identity, human resource development, people-to-people interaction, and close collaboration among the business sector, civil society, academia and other stakeholders in ASEAN.
We continue to complement ASEAN priorities. To date, we work to strengthen the ASEAN Community.
We work in four thematic areas of education, arts and culture, media development and community building. We provide support in the form of scholarships, fellowships internships and exchanges. We organise meetings, conferences, roundtables and workshops in support of the ASEAN Community.
The Project Officer is a post that works directly with one of ASEAN Foundation’s strategic partners, Maybank Foundation to manage and implement the eMpowering Youth Across ASEAN Programme. The post is based at the ASEAN Foundation in Jakarta, Indonesia, but with occasional travels to the project sites in Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia and one additional ASEAN Member State. Travels to other ASEAN countries may also be required for specific purposes.
The ASEAN Foundation is looking for an enthusiastic new team member at the beginning of his/her career who has skills in the areas we seek, but also someone who is pro-active and innovative with an eagerness to add fresh perspective to projects. The ideal candidate will be a team player, have strong personal skills, agility as well as being friendly and diplomatic.
The post reports to the Programme Manager of the ASEAN Foundation and works closely with the Maybank Foundation, and the eMpowering Youth Across ASEAN programme multi-stakeholders such as the Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), and Social Enterprises (SEs) across ASEAN Region to execute this initiative.
Develop and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with the following:
Internal (within Post)
- Executive Director
- Communications and Marketing Manager
- Head of Finance and Administration
- All staff of the Foundation.
External (outside Post)
- Main contacts in Maybank Foundation
- ASEAN Secretariat and other relevant ASEAN organs
- Permanent Representatives of 10 ASEAN Member States to ASEAN
- Potential higher education institutions, civil society organisations, and not-for-profit organisations
- Other relevant partners related to the Maybank Foundation-sponsored initiatives
Description of Roles and Responsibilities
- Support of the Project Implementation
- Key contact point between the ASEAN Foundation and Maybank Foundation.
- Implement, manage and deliver activities under the eMpowering Youth Across ASEAN Programme within the designated timeframe and ensure outcomes are achieved.
- Manage the recruitment of the following:
- 100 youth changemakers from 10 ASEAN Member States (AMSs) to participate in the eMpowering Youth Across ASEAN Programme.
- 10 Civil Society Organisations (CSOs)/ Social Enterprises (SEs) partners from Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia and one additional ASEAN Member State.
- Manage the preparation and implementation of the following
- Regional Capacity Building and Orientation Workshop
- The deployment of the youth changemakers to the project site in four ASEAN Member States.
The above activities will entail the complex coordination of logistics, for instance, booking venues, catering, printing training material and handouts, and arranging complex flights in particular during the deployment of the youths to the project sites.
- Liaise with a large number of participants, resources persons, trainers, CSOs/SEs partners (sometimes simultaneously)
- Monitor the community project implementation in four ASEAN Member States.
- Support to the effective reporting on progress of project implementation
- With the guidance of the Programme Manager, write the result-oriented progress report and interpret financial documents for donor reporting in a timely manner.
- Analyse data to for progress reporting (narrative and financial) and identify any remedial action required to keep activities on track.
- Work closely with the programme support officer to prepare financial authorisation for expenditures to be approved and documentation in the prevailing budget system.
- Oversee project budget and contracts with vendors and service providers including financial reporting
- Provide content regarding the development and implementation of the communication plan for the project including the production of promotion and information materials, press materials and collaterals
- Work closely with the Communications Manager to use digital and social media tools to promote and engage participation in the project
- Supports knowledge building, knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in the implementation of the eMpowering Youth Across ASEAN initiative.
- Manage the administration and logistics aspects of community project showcase and evaluation.
- Other responsibilities related to the ASEAN Foundation - Maybank Foundation initiative as needed.
- Attend to assigned tasks provided by the Programme Manager or the Executive Director as required.
- Participate in and provide input to specific committees or working groups in the ASEAN Foundation (e.g. on proposal development, project management, communication, financial matters or human resources)
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor Degree in International Development/Social Sciences/Humanities/Communication/Business Management
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience (including internship experience)
- Previous work experience with Civil Society Organisation and have experience in the community development programme (i.e. volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded.
- An event management generalist with proven track record in managing or arranging project events.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skill
- Excellent communication skills, responding to user needs in a prompt, courteous manner
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to analyse and organize data
- Strong organisational and writing skills
- Proficient in writing in English
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and digital media
- Knowledge of another ASEAN language other than Bahasa Indonesia
- Ability to travel internationally
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Able to follow through on tasks
- Ability to work within systems and procedures
- Open to learning
- Able to work effectively in a small team environment involving the sharing of information and at times sharing workloads;
- Has the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner
A lump sum monthly salary will be provided commensurate with the qualification and experience.
All interested applicants to send application, stating the post on the subject line, with the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org – a) application letter, b) curriculum vitae and salary history and expected salary
Deadline for Application
Monday, 16 September 2019Tweet This Share on Facebook Plus on Google+ Share on LinkedIn