TERMS OF REFERENCE
Locally Recruited Staff – Level 4
Term of Employment
This position is for an initial period of 1 year, after which the position will be evaluated subject to organisation needs and regular performance review.
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN Leaders recognised that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN.
It was of this concern that ASEAN Leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Commemorative Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997.
After its establishment, the ASEAN Foundation has been tasked to support ASEAN’s community building efforts by promoting greater awareness of the ASEAN identity, human resource development, people-to-people interaction, and close collaboration among the business sector, civil society, academia and other stakeholders in ASEAN.
We continue to complement ASEAN priorities. To date, we work to strengthen the ASEAN Community.
We work in four thematic areas of education, arts and culture, media development and community building. We provide support in the form of scholarships, fellowships internships and exchanges. We organize meetings, conferences, roundtables and workshops in support of the ASEAN Community.
Since its inception in 1997, the ASEAN Foundation has successfully managed projects in ten ASEAN countries to realise its mandate. The projects and activities of the ASEAN Foundation range from training, workshops, scholarship grants, regional forums and meetings, interactive activities and exchanges, seminars and conferences, publicity and promotions.
The Communication and Marketing Manager is a key member of the management team, bringing skills, experience, commitment and passion to enhance, develop and add value to all the ASEAN Foundation initiatives. Reporting to the Executive Director and supervising a Programme Communications Officer, the Communication Manager will be responsible for successfully raising the profile, building audiences and effectively communicating the ASEAN Foundation’s mission, messages and work to meet strategic and operational objectives. S/he will contribute significantly to organisational growth and innovation.
In order to be suitable for this position you must have substantial communications and public relations experience. It is essential to have broad skills including devising, managing and implementing a comprehensive and integrated communication plan covering three major aspects of communications (media production, media relation, and public engagement). S/he will oversee the development of all the Foundation’s communication platforms ranging from digital media (website, social media, and email newsletter), printed publication and audio-visual media products such as documentaries, video reporting/documentation, and PSAs. Under the media relation aspects, s/he will establish and maintain good relationships with the media across the region as an effort to enhance the Foundation’s visibility through increased media coverage. Additionally under the public engagement aspect, s/he will develop and implement public outreach initiatives by managing online and offline events as well as conducting campaigns to enhance public awareness, engagement, and understanding towards the Foundation’s works.
Strategic Communications and Branding
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive communications and public relations programme that will enhance the organisation’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications
- Build and maintain effective internal communication within the organisation
- Develop and oversee the corporate branding, design principles and guidelines for all the ASEAN Foundation’s materials and products, ensuring their consistent application
- Ensure that media relations elements of organisational campaigns are coordinated and aligned with ASEAN Foundation’s brand and overarching prioritie
- Developing editorial guideline for website, social media content, and press release
- Developing, and implementing social media strategy for the Foundation
- Develop adequate and effective internal information management systems to promote internal and external communication objectives
- Identifying and develop effective messages, framing and means for delivering them to reach communication objectives
- Ensure that the ASEAN Foundation has effective communication resources that are up-to-date and accessible for all staff with external relations responsibilities
- Plan, produce and disseminate newsletters and other publications for both internal and external stakeholders
- Conceptualise and plan to produce various information and promotional materials to internal and external audiences (e.g. brochures, magazine, newsletter, briefing kits, flyers, and other event-specific materials.) as well as audio-visual products such as documentaries, video documentation, PSAs, and many more.
- Oversee the production of ASEAN Foundation Annual Report and Information Factsheets
Media Relations/Media Engagement
- Develop a media outreach plan to identify and build relations with a network of traditional and specialised media and maintain these relations to increase the ASEAN Foundation’s media profile
- Research, plan, and implement media placing
- Prepare, develop, and produce human-interest stories to pitch to the media as an effort to leverage ASEAN Foundation’s initiatives AF’s programmes and its impacts to enhance visibility and public understanding of ASEAN Foundation’s role in the region
- Plan and lead media activities such as press conference, media briefing, and media interview
- Represent ASEAN Foundation and actively participate in communications/public relations committees amongst ASEAN organizations;
Public Engagement/Event Management
- Design, plan, and implement public outreach activities such as organising online contest, social media quizzes, as well as participating in a number of public events to enhance the Foundation’s visibility
- Provide support for event management such as coordination with internal and external partners, event sponsors
- Develop and produce engaging presentation and materials support for conferences, forum, and other events that the Foundation is participating
Line management and support
- Produce and compile regular activities reports (bi-weekly) and updates on the implementation of the planned work activities;
- Develop budget for communications and media activities, manage spending within budgets, and provide justifications for variances;
- Together with Programm Communications Officer supervise consultants and service providers that may be assigned to assist communication and media works, ensuring competencies and output meets the program demands and expectations; and
- As required liaise with external stakeholders; including government, donors, partners etc.
- Contribute to the identification, and documentation of best practices and lessons learned and share this knowledge within and outside the organization;
- Work with the Executive Director to develop overall medium and long-term fundraising targets for each sector (high value donors, corporate and high net worth individuals) aligned to the overall strategic direction of the Foundation
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of Bachelor degree in relevant field combined with minimum 10 years of progressive experience in communications, media relations, public relations or development fields
- Experience working collaboratively across the nonprofit, private, and public sectors
Postgraduate Degree in a relevant field with minimum 8 years of progressive experience in communications, media relations, public relations or development fields
QUALIFICATIONS AND TECHNICAL SKILL
- Skills on a wide range of communications tools, including digital, media and marketing skills;
- Exceptional English communication skills, both written and verbal. In particular, strong copy-writing and editing skills for newsletter, brochures and websites
- Experience in writing press-release, articles, reports
- Experience in event management/coordination
- Strong network with the media across ASEAN region
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience with desktop publishing software, knowledge and skills in graphic design.
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Creative and innovative in developing and implementing communication strategies, designing communication products and in using different medium, including social media
- Ability to work on own initiative to build on and develop the job, combined with the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Developed capacity for tact, diplomacy and negotiation
- Good programme management skills, highly organized with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritise multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines and organise works.
A lump sum monthly salary will be provided commensurate with the qualification and experience.
All interested applicants to send application, stating the post with the following documents:
- Application letter and/or one minute video on why you want to join us;
- Curriculum vitae and 3 reference
- Salary history as well as expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
22 December 2017Tweet This Share on Facebook Plus on Google+ Share on LinkedIn