Yangon, Myanmar – Event and Media Consultant
Yangon, Myanmar – Event and Media Consultant
The ASEAN Foundation was established in December 1997 by the ASEAN Foreign Ministers in fulfillment of the decision of the ASEAN Leaders. It is a non-profit ASEAN body under the ASEAN Charter and is mandated to promote greater awareness of ASEAN and greater interaction among the peoples of ASEAN, as well as their wider participation in ASEAN activities.
The ASEAN Foundation’s projects to help promote ASEAN awareness among the youth are many and may be grouped into the following forms and approaches: (a) interactions and forums; (b) workshops and community immersion activities; (c) scholarship programmes and youth exchanges; (d) improving skills and outlook; (e) development of youth website and video game; and (f) cultural appreciation and promotion1.
Efforts of the ASEAN Foundation to raise ASEAN awareness among the youth have taken different forms and approaches2. Among these are the promotion of ASEAN Studies in universities, scholarship grants, exchange programmes, and other activities involving universities throughout the region3.
Since its establishment, the ASEAN Foundation has been providing postgraduate scholarship grants for the ASEAN youth involving reputable universities and corporate foundations in ASEAN as well as some other ASEAN associated entities. As of August 2014, a total of 73 scholars from eight ASEAN Member States have been partially funded by the ASEAN Foundation through the Japan – ASEAN Solidarity Fund (JASF) to attend master’s degree in reputable universities in Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand.
Myanmar nationals top the tally by having the most number of scholars – 16 scholars or 22 per cent out of the total recipients. Taking the opportunity of Myanmar being the current ASEAN Chair, the ASEAN Foundation would like to establish the ASEAN Foundation Alumni Network by initiating the first gathering of alumni in Myanmar.
Expected guests are the scholarship beneficiaries, the ASEAN Committee of Permanent Representatives (ASEAN CPRs), representatives from the Government of Japan, members of the diplomatic corps in Yangon and other invited guests.
The ASEAN Foundation would expect that this gathering to generate substantial media coverage taking advantage of the media presence to cover the 25th ASEAN Summit.
For this purpose, therefore, the ASEAN Foundation is looking for a consultant or an individual in an organisation that can provide the following services.
3. Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Giving recommendation on the suitable venue at a prominent hotel in Yangon and the meeting package/food and beverages that include 1 x coffee/tea and light snack in the morning and 1 x luncheon for maximum 70 pax..
- Being responsible for the provision of general administrative and logistical needs of the event, including venue, quality meeting equipment, sound systems, multimedia systems, backdrop, photo and video documentation, reliable ushers/usherettes and announcer (MC), registration desk and general help desk support staff, IT staff, among others.
- Arrange for seating arrangement and press conference.
- Helping in the protocol arrangement for guests from the diplomatic corps.
- Identify the most relevant and influential journalists and news agencies with whom to liaise resulting in news coverage in at least three reputable national media in Myanmar and at least one Japanese media. Copies of news are to be submitted to the ASEAN Foundation.
- Pitch stories of Myanmar alumni to interested media and journalists dealing with ASEAN community building process.
- Assist in the confirmation of media attendance before the start of the alumni gathering.
- Collection, preparation, and editing of supporting communication materials (press release, press conference invitations, etc.).
4. Time Schedule
The consultant will carry out the above tasks as soon as appointed, to include on-site presence on Saturday, 8 November 2014, in Yangon. The event will start at 08.30 A. M. and will be concluded with a luncheon.
A lump sum quotation is required including fees and other relevant expenses. Payment will be linked to deliverables.
6. Qualifications and Experience
- The successful candidate should possess a degree in communications, journalism, etc., or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Minimum five years of experience in a related field.
- Have an existing and strong network of media contacts appropriate to the assignment with national and international media.
- Be an excellent thinker and communicator and be able to write and work with others.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and under tight time constraints.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills.
All interested applicants to send application, stating the position with the following documents to email@example.com: a). application letter and time table on how the assignment will be carried out and completed with clear deliverables; b). curriculum vitae; and c). financial proposal specifying a total lump sum amount highlighting deliverables.Tweet This Share on Facebook Plus on Google+ Share on LinkedIn