The ASEAN Foundation Student Internship Programme is an unpaid internship programme that aims to provide undergraduate and graduate students a practical experience working in an ASEAN organisation. The ASEAN Foundation can benefit from having qualified students to support its current operational needs. For the interns, they will learn about the work of the ASEAN Foundation supporting the ASEAN community building process and gain a better understanding on the nature and dynamics of ASEAN cooperation. The Programme is also a valuable outreach tool to promote ASEAN awareness and student mobility in the ASEAN region.
In 2015, the Foundation strengthened its promotion of recruiting interns. This internship scheme provides an opportunity for an intern to gain experience working in an ASEAN body and to allow the intern to learn more about ASEAN affairs – the work of the ASEAN Foundation to support the ASEAN Community building process. An intern can gain knowledge about the work environment and work ethics as well as skills in planning, management, coordination and administrative. During the internship, the interns will be supervised by a staff member and is viewed like a co-worker like any other staff member.
The ASEAN Foundation will post the required intern’s assignment, i.e. TOR on its website for interested students to apply. Normally, the assignments are to support the programme, operations, and communication works of the ASEAN Foundation.
The application will be considered according to the priorities of the ASEAN Foundation:
1) Relevance of the applicant’s academic qualifications
2) Relevant skills and ability to contribute
3) Motivation and willingness to work hard
As a minimum requirement, applicants must:
1) Be an ASEAN national or holding a nationality of the ASEAN dialogue/development/sectoral partners.
2) Enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or post-graduate degree programme who has finished his/her first year of study or have already graduated but still within one-year of his/her graduation.
3) Be fluent in the English Language by possessing an overall score of 6.5 in the IELTS or an overall score of 79 in TOEFL iBT. Knowledge of any ASEAN language is considered an asset.
4) Be computer literate.
Assignment and Duration
- Assignment may vary in length and tasks, depending on availability, skills and academic requirements, as well as the needs of the ASEAN Foundation.
- Internships are full time only (8 hours/day and 5 days/week). The internship duration will last from a minimum of eight (8) weeks to a maximum of six (6) months.
- The Internship Contract shall be issued to stipulate the length of period, its terms of reference and the supervisor’s name.
- In the past volunteer interns have been assigned to various tasks including:
- Performing background research and undertaking research support for proposal development
- Supporting tasks related to financial management, human resource administration, procurement process and administration arrangement
- Assisting organisational coordination (liaison with participants, etc.) and logistical arrangements (meeting and travel arrangements, etc.)
- Maintaining databases
- Assisting with the preparation and review of publications/policy briefs/presentations and note-taking at meetings
- Helping with the drafting and editing of content information for the website
- Contributing to the development of printed communication materials, including editing images/photos and layout
- Collating media coverage and website statistics and assisting in analysis.
- The student intern will not be paid by the ASEAN Foundation and will not be considered a staff member.
- All expenses connected with the internship, such as travel to the ASEAN Foundation, accommodation and living allowances in Jakarta, are the responsibility of the student intern or the sponsoring institution.
- The student intern is responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.
- The ASEAN Foundation will not accept any responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship and the student intern, therefore, should have a health insurance coverage.
- Proof of medical coverage must be provided before the internship commences.
- There is no expectancy of employment at the end of the internship.
- The student intern undertakes to conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner compatible with his/her responsibilities.
- The student intern must keep confidential any and all unpublished information made known during the course of the internship and not publish any reports or paper on the basis of information obtained except with the authorisation of the ASEAN Foundation
- The student intern will provide written notice in case of illness or other unavoidable circumstances which might prevent him/her from fulfilling the internship.
Find out more about current internship opportunities